Saturday, February 11, 2006

Fill Up Your Tank

Well, after much fiasco we finally have a new (to us) car! And we can drive it legally now!

I'm so thankful. I like the Cougar, it has been faithful. A lot of memories in that car. But it is so nice to sit in a car that has heat, that isn't falling apart.

It's a Suzuki Grand Vitara. We don't have a digital camera (yet) so I took this photo from here. It looks basically like that, except for the brush guard (whatever that is). Except ours is a 1999, with a 2000 engine.

We had an interesting experience with it Thursday night, though. We didn't get off of work until about 7, so we headed home on 840, only to get to the Speedway exit and start to run out of gas. The cougar has a light that comes on when you are low on gas, so we don't even really look at the gauge anymore. Brad says that they don't call it an "idiot light" for nothing!

We have no cell phone anymore.
Brad: I'll walk home and get gas and come back and get you. I'll be back sometime in the middle of the night.
Me: You can't do that! It's too far!
Brad: We got to though!
Me: Well, take me with you!
Brad: I can't, you're too slow! I need to go fast!
Me: It's freezing! You'll freeze to death, or someone will pick you up and kill you. I will be sitting here in this cold car with NO coat (I don't need one, the car has heat, right?), NO blanket, and I'LL freeze to death or some wacko will come pull me out of the car and kill me!
Brad: What else do you suggest?
Me: Well, if you're gonna walk somewhere, Rose lives about 7-8 miles down the road here...
Brad: Ok, write me directions.
Me: Ok... wait! There is no way you're gonna find it in the dark! You've only been there once! And you'll freeze to death before you get there!
Brad: Probably.
Me: Well, at least try to flag someone down who has a cell phone before you go out to your certain death.

At this point 10 other cars have already passed us. Brad gets out of the car and prays, "Please help us Jesus!" And the next car stops. A big white van. He has a cell phone. I'd say it was an angel but he was a smoker. But hey, even Pharoah must do the bidding of the Lord.

The only numbers we have with us is what Brad has written on business cards in his wallet. Which are Bro. Campbell and Bro. Shaw. Why just those two I have no idea. Left a message on Bro. Campbell's phone, and got a hold of Bro. Shaw. Gave him directions to where we were, he is on his way. We crawl into the back seat to cuddle, trying to keep warm. We figure it's gonna be about 30- 40 min before he can get there. It's about 8 pm now.

Next thing we know, a truck is pulling up in front of us. It's Bro. Campbell! We forgot to call back and leave a message that Bro. Shaw was coming. I felt bad getting him out there for nothing, but I was soooooooo thankful for the warm truck!

It ended up being a good thing that Bro. Campbell came anyway, because when he called Bro. Shaw, he was lost on 840 (he's not familiar with the area). So if Bro. Campbell hadn't come, Bro. Shaw would still be wandering around 840 looking for us, and us with no phone.

So Bro. Shaw brought a bit of gas, and Bro. Campbell and I followed Brad (I got to stay in the warm truck! Yay!) to the gas station in front of Cedars of Lebanon.

I felt really bad getting the whole rescue squad all the way out there so late at night... But it could have been a lot worse! But they were so nice and sweet about it all. I am very thankful that Jesus was watching out for us, and that I didn't end up with an Iceman for a husband. I really am blessed. Told Bro. Campbell how much I appreciated his help, and he just said, "Wait until I do something to appreciate me!" :-) He's so sweet.

Hey, uh.... Honey? Do we have gas in the car?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOUR DAD NEVER LISTENS TO ME...THIS IS A MAMA NOTE: 1. BOTH STAY IN VEHICLE 2. HAVE FLASHERS ON 3. WHEN SOMEONE STOPS KEEP WINDOW CRACKED AND ASK THEM TO PLEASE CALL SOMEONE FOR YOU 4. YOU CAN ALSO KEEP A "CALL POLICE PLEASE" SIGN IN YOUR CAR IN CASE IT'S EVER NEEDED WHEN YOU ARE ALONE AND NEED HELP.5.ALWAYS CARRY WARM COAT IN WINTER AND A BLANKET ETC. ( I KNOW I KNOW..I NEVER WORE ONE BUT I AM GETTING BETTER IN MY OLD(ER) AGE ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, we were totally unprepared because it's new. We have blankets, tools, jumper cables, etc. in the COUGAR! But NOTHING in the Suzuki yet!