Thursday, February 2, 2006

Turn the Radio Up!

I loved service tonight!

The Campbell's presentation of their trip to Honduras was awesome... but a little disappointing, just in that I know that being there would have been so much more awesome than watching it. Know what I mean? Not that it wasn't awesome... Hope I'm making sense.

It really spurred a lot of thoughts in me tonight.

When I was twelve, the church that we were going to did a teen study of Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God. During that study, I felt Jesus really speak to me about telling people about Him. Well, being very excited to have heard from God, I ran with it and decided that I was called to be a Missionary Nurse to China or something! I've described it like this: I was so excited to hear the radio that I turned it off and instead of keeping on listening to the rest of the music I went and told everyone how cool it was to have a radio.

Afterwards and a couple years later, I realized that while God has the liberty to call me to be a foreign missionary in the future, I am to be a missionary in the pilgrim land I'm in now. Wow! Really deep, huh?

But at the time I thought I was to go on foreign soil, I looked into a mission trip to Mexico with a group that turned out to be really disappointing. They basically went there to make themselves feel like they had done their duty, instead of doing it out of a heart that burned to tell the world about Jesus. I was very disillusioned and did not go on the trip. It was about a year after that I realized I had turned off the radio.

And now I'm looking back at all of this... And I wonder . I have the radio on now... but is the volume turned down low? Do I change stations?

I think in my old age (ha!) I've become a tad cynical. I want to recapture some of that innocence I had about serving God back when I was 12. Some of that awe.

I guess it all just boils down to the fact that if I keep my eyes on Jesus, if I focus on my relationship with him, then my relationships with other people will be what they need to be too. I can't be distracted with all of the... stuff. I've got to keep my ear glued to the radio, and the more I listen, the more I love it, and the more I want other people to listen with me.

I want to fall in love with Jesus all over again.

No comments: