Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Money & Food

Kasey is being so positive about Brad Moore's situation. Thanks Kasey, for uplifting my faith with your own.

I think I'm gonna ask my boss if we can do a bake sale at work for him. I think she'd agree.

In other news, I made a BIG checkbook mistake and we're paying for it. Things like this make me feel like a total failure as a wife. I beat myself up for it, no one knows how much I take it to heart. And when people say things like, "Why don't you have a budget?" it breaks my heart. I try my best and then something like this happens and I'm portrayed as a money squanderer without a lick of sense who can't even add two plus two. Like I'm not calling myself enough names already.

Sigh. BUT the Lord is merciful to me in my mistakes and He's taking care of us. We are going to be OK!

The good thing is that I have become extremely creative in the kitchen. I hardly ever cook from scratch anymore, but rather than go grocery shopping, I've been using the raw materials I already have. So far, this week for dinner, we've had... Southwestern Chicken Stroganoff, Beefy Noodles with Steamed Broccolli, and Cheesy Chicken Spanish Rice Pilaf, and Butter Pecan Cake with Penuche Fudge icing. It's sad it took us having a financial crisis to be able to eat like a king and queen!

Anyhow, it's late because I've been working on an updated BUDGET (take that, HA!) and I needed to vent a bit. Goodness, I'm getting to be as brutally honest as Wendy! Yikes! :-)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girrrrrrrrrrl, I have butchered a checkbook several times. As a matter of fact I did it last week. Danny had his last court date and wrote a $150.00 check. I didn't get a receipt so I didn't write it down. OOPS! 150.00 in the hole boo boo. We had to borrow 200 to fix it but we can't pay that back for 2 weeks! :P
We know all about "create-a-meals." Last night I put on the counter... 2 different cans of soup, 2 frozen burgers, lettuce (for a naked salad), PB & Jelly, frozen pancakes, and a can of chef boyardee something that has been in there for a while that someone gave to us.... I told the kids to pick what they wanted for dinner. It ended up being pretty good.
When you live pay check to pay check it is hard to budget. Hang in there! ;)
Let's get a bake sale together for Sunday after church. People that we wouldn't call for money can give that way. What do ya say?

Anonymous said...

Look at all the mistakes I have made thru the years!
We all make mistakes sometimes.

You are a great wife...and daughter and don't ever think anything different!

Anonymous said...

I don't get to do the check book now...I did when I was single, but Damon won't let me have it and even when I did try to take over he watched over my shoulder so much I just gave it back!

I have made mistakes before too, but that is why now and even before I got married, I created a small pad in there...just in case! I think by the time I got married I had about 30 or so extra in there!

It is amazing what you can create when you are broke huh! We ate like king and queens when we were broke! I totally understand what you mean!

Anonymous said...

if instead of writing down exactly how much the check was for, you round up (ex: check was 12.40, write down 13.00) that way you add up some pad, like kasey said. and also, when you realize how much extra it is, you and brad may be able to treat yourselves to something, like a meal for a king and queen someone else cleans up for ;)

Anonymous said...

It seems like all of us are dealing with depression of some kind or another these days, Rach. Don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes from time to time. Learn from yours and keep going. That's the best you can do.

Anonymous said...

Rounding up sounds like an excellent idea!! I may have to try that!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, Jaci! Don't know if Brad will go for it though. He's the kind of person who wants every cent exact. But I think rounding up is a good idea!

Good to see you here! Come and visit anytime you like. :-)

Anonymous said...

Rachel, you are a joy, your smile lights up every room you are in. I so enjoy your posts. I had been wondering about the Narnia movie, didn't really know too much about it, but with you explanation i feel it will be ok to watch. I am so weird that way, when it comes to stuff that I don't quite understand. Keep smiling you are a great source of encouragement.....love and prayers sis katie.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Okay, I hope I am not being rude, but I read your post and it brought back some memories. It is so easy to make a mistake in that silly old checkbook. When we first got married we weren't use to sharing a check book and he did things his way and I did things mine. One time, the first year we were married, he was suppose to make a deposit, but forgot. He carried that deposit in the car with him for weeks and it finally caught up with us. I was so angry after telling the bank it was their fault and finding that deposit in his car. LOL!
Well I should not have gotten angry, because it wasn't much later I made a big mistake.
We have been married 12 years and sometimes we just make doofers! However,duplicate checks really helped us, but that doesn't help those debits or your eyes when balancing a check book.
If you were a deadbeat you wouldn't be trying to work two jobs.
It is hard, but you'll make it. Now if you worked at Papa John"s you'd get great tips and pizza half price.I am thinking about doing that this summer to raise money to finish school. Food and money. Go figure?

Your Restroom Buddie,
Annette Sutton