Thursday, May 11, 2006

First Prenatal Visit

Everything went well. I like this doctor. She's very professional but she's very friendly too. Definitely a pleasant person to have around at a delivery.

The thing is that if my baby is delivered on a weekend then it may be attended by any of the 3 other lady doctors in the practice, whoever happens to be on call. But Becky and Rose tell me that they are ALL nice, and Dr. Deppen says I'm free to rotate my office visits with the other doctors so that I can get to know them too.

They did the lovely Pap smear and the internal exam wasn't as traumatizing as I was expecting, though after the whirlwind was over, I did feel a bit violated. LOL That's why I have GIRL doctors! I know that everyone says your modesty goes out the window when you have a baby, well I'm the horse of a different color you hear tell about, and the only man in the room will be my husband.

They did blood work and we'll get the results of those tests will be completed in about 2 weeks. But at this point everything is looking good! She says my due date is Jan. 3rd but we are having an ultrasound Thursday just to check how far along I am, due to my "erratic ovulation."

The nurse there is so sweet. She's an older hip grandma type person. Makes you feel right at home. Wish SHE could deliver the baby!

I didn't ask hardly any questions, just basically let her know that I want a natural childbirth and I learned that they don't have a hot tub thingy for water births so that's out of the question. She did say that I'll only be confined to the bed if there is a legitimate problem (now to find out what they consider a "legitimate problem". If they mean, like, birthing a child, we'll have issues!). But she says that I'm free to move about, get showers, sit... I wonder if I can bring in my OWN birthing chair if I get it approved by the doctor first?

I'm not going to be a very typical patient. I'm nice, but I'm very... hmm. Some things I feel very strongly about.

Please, no one be offended by any of my views on anything here. Every pregnancy and birth is uniquely your own. It's up to you. It is more important that a baby is in a loving home being well cared for than how it was delivered. Healthy babies are the goal. That's all that matters.

But this pregnancy and birth is uniquely mine. My idea of a perfect birth may be different from yours, but it's mine.

I can't wait to watch this baby's story unfold. And ours.

Anyways. I feel yucky and sore. I talked to my Mama and my Lil' Sis and took a nap. Think I'm gonna go fix something for dinner.

LOL, Oh the things I'm saying on my public blog. Words like, "ovulation" and "Pap smear" LOL my modesty is already going out the window!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

um.. ok... you know, reading this just makes me realize how young i truly am

we got caught up on work yesterday. who knows about tonight.

oh, and i forgot that we had a band meeting tonight. guess we're going to have to pray for a miracle!

Anonymous said...

Just wait till they check to see if you've dialted any. That's ALWAYS fun. ;)

I had a female OB but I just so happened to go into labor on a weekend she was out of town and a male delivered my baby. He was super nice though and since I only had to push a few times, he was only in there a couple of minutes. Also, you won't care WHO delivers that baby, as long as they get it out!

Anonymous said...

LOL...it will be fun for me to watch your progress and the emotions you go through. Please keep blogging about all that you feel, I do so enjoy your posts. Love and prayers to all 3 of you...sis katie.

Anonymous said...

Rach I agree with Harmless Dove. She is right.You won't care who or where when the time comes! LOL
You will just want to hold that little one.
I always wanted a midwife but with you 7 kids.... I have seen so many male drs thru the years !

Anonymous said...

oh..I cannot believe you mentioned a pap smear ! Must be that Tennessee living ! LOL

Anonymous said...

ya'll don't know rachel very well, haha!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel. One thing I remember about my pregnancy is that I always wanted to know everyone else's experience because I was EXTREMELY nervous. Whatever you do - don't ask unless you REALLY wonna know. Everything everyone told me scared me. You're right about everyone's birthing process being different. Keep that in mind and pray for a SAFE delivery and a healthy baby. I couldn't have asked for a better experience with Kailee.

You are in my prayers. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS, MOMMY!!! I bet this will be the sweetest Mother's Day ever... well... at least until next year when you're holding your precious little baby in your loving arms... awww! I'm so happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, sorry, the link is all messed up.

My site is: http://babyblogorama.net