Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sewing, Anti-Fashion, and Surprises Gone Wrong

Good morning!

First of all, I have BIG news that I wasn't going to share until this evening but SOME PEOPLE don't know how to evade a question and throw someone off track without lying (Goodness, didn't Brad ever keep any Christmas present secrets?).

Anyway, when I went into my doctor's appointment Monday, I tried to get them to reschedule my ultrasound appointment so that it wouldn't be during the Assembly, even if it meant having to wait longer. :-( Well, they felt so bad for me that I had to miss my last appointment that that they decided to work me in TODAY!!!! Yay!!!!!

I'm so excited!!!! We ran into Walgreens after church last night for toothpaste, and they had the cutest little baby fleece blankets for a dollar a piece. I almost got a couple, but I thought, no, I'll wait, maybe tomorrow I'll know if I need to get blue or pink! I HOPE this child isn't modest yet!

I'm picking Brad up from work at noon, and heading to Nashville. Our appointment is at 2:40, so we should be there and waiting in plenty of time.

Happiness! I'm so glad I don't have to wait any longer. :-)

Second, my maternity pattern I got on Ebay came in the mail yesterday. I can't find a thing I like that is made already and all the patterns at Wal-Mart are pretty much blah. So I found a couple patterns online, and a couple more should be coming in soon too. Now I just need to make a trip to a fabric store and find some cheap material. I have some wonderful purple velvet material but I'm going to wait and make a nice winter dress with that later on. But if we make it to any part of Assembly (hopefully the whole thing, we'll see!) I'm going to need more church clothes. So I'm gonna get sewing!

This is the pattern that came yesterday. I'm going to make the longer one and add 3/4 sleeves and do something to the neckline. I'm thinking about making the main part of the dress print, and then doing the sleeves in white with a matching inset for the v-neckline to make it look like a jumper 2-piece set. I'm not sure yet. We'll see what kind of material I find.

You can't tell it from the picture, but the long one is not flared enough and has a back slit, which I don't do (if you're going to have a slit, why not just cut it off where the slit begins? Everyone can see your legs anyway. Oh wait. Some do. Never mind :-/). So I'm going to cut the skirt a bit wider going towards the hemline so it will be more A-line.

This is going to be fun! I haven't sewn anything in a while, so I'm looking forward to getting started again.

I told Sis. Smith on Mom Riddell's blog that I would post my story about fashion. So here it is. When I was younger, I absolutely REFUSED to wear anything that was in style, simply because it was in style. When everyone started wearing butterfly clips in their hair, I was repulsed. Under no circumstances would you catch me with one because everyone else was wearing them! My Mama always told me that if you have a group of girls, and they are all wearing pink t-shirts, and there is one girl in the middle who is wearing a purple t-shirt, who do you think is going to stand out the most? That left a huge impression on me. Not to draw attention to myself, but just to not care about being different. Now, if I find something modest that I like that just HAPPENS to be in style, then that's OK. But I'm sure not gonna let those money-grubbing worldy fashion mongers dictate MY life! Ha ha!

Say a prayer that all goes well with the ultrasound today! This morning when I dropped Brad off at work I said, "See you later, Baby!" He looked at me, I laughed, and said, "See you later too, Daddy!" :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My you've been a busy blogger this morning! you're gonna call and let us know what it is right?! If you don't call me I'm calling you at 9pm -- gotta give you time to celebrate. =D

Anonymous said...

Yup, I'll call!

But I only have a 60 min. phone card and we have to call our mothers first, and we may use it all on them! So I will call you when we get home if I don't call you before then.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm sorry I put the question to him point blank and it caught him by surprise. He could have said, we don't have to go during assembly like we thought. Then I would have got the hint that he didn't want to tell when. Sorry. He is so blunt honest sometimes it's ridiculous. Better than being a liar but he needs to work on his imagination when it comes to surprises. Actually, he did keep presents a secret. It was his sister who couldn't do that! I'll be sitting here waiting....