Thursday, August 17, 2006

Still Yellow

Listening to: Yellow by Coldplay (needs that cool Xanga feature)

Ok, here it is. No Wendy, nothing is wrong with the baby. We are both fine.

I just didn't get to do the ultrasound. Sigh.

Our appointment was at 3:00. I was supposed to pick Brad up at 2:00 to head to Nashville. I forgot the paper I needed and had to run back to the house and didn't get to Murfreesboro until 2:30.

We headed to Nashville. And not just ANY part of Nashville. DOWNTOWN Nashville! My doctor delivers at Summit, has offices in Hermitage and Lebanon, and they do routine ultrasounds at the Hermitage office. But for the 20 week ultrasound they send you to a special diagnostic imaging place at Baptist Hospital. In DOWNTOWN Nashville!

We knew we were going to be late anyway but I thought, well, we'll just try to be there as soon as we can and maybe they'll take me anyway.

TRAFFIC! BAD time to be headed for downtown anyway. WHY did I not think of this when I made the appointment??? I was just thinking of how Brad could work most of a day before coming with me. NEXT time the appointment will be in the morning and Brad can just go to work afterwards.

So after fanangling around traffic for forever, we finally made it to 40, only to have to sit in traffic because a BIG truck had dumped it's load of sheet glass ALL OVER the interstate and they had to get it all cleaned up. I couldn't believe how much glass had been dropped when we drove by it. They were using a snowblower thing to get it off the road, and they had a BIG truck full of broken glass. Someone is going to be really mad at the truck driver dude.

So we FINALLY get off at our exit, only to wander around the same 4 blocks for an hour trying to find the place because both of us were reading the map thingy they gave us wrong. We pulled into the parking garage at 4:30. 4:30!!!!!!! By this time I was bawling. Traffic was stressful, trying to get unlost was stressful, and then we were so late... we decided to go in anyway just to see. Maybe when they saw my puffy red eyes and heard my story they would have pity on me and take me anyway.

The lights were out in the office. There was a lady finishing up something in there, and she was so sweet but she said that everyone had left at 4, and that she wished I would have called them. I COULDN'T because I was stuck in traffic and I don't have a cell phone! (We were going to get cell phones anyway when it got closer to baby time so we can get ahold of each other when it's "time" but this is going to speed up the process!)!! But it sounded like they might have waited for me had they known the situation. :-(

So. Back to the elevator. More bawling in the elevator. People trying to ignore the bawling pregnant woman in the elevator.

We were going to call our parents afterwards, so we stopped at an Exxon. Big fancy gas station and NO PAY PHONE! More bawling. HOW am I supposed to talk to people when I'm bawling, anyway???

We were going to head to church but there was no way. Traffic was at a standstill. The only thing that was moving was 65 South. So we went to Cool Springs. I was starving because I had been told to not eat anything for 6-8 hrs before the ultrasound, so Brad took me to Backyard Burgers (our favorite burger joint). I was in need of some serious babying. So we went to Lifeway and read for a while, and got the new old Matthew West cd. Then Brad took me to Marble Slab Creamery where I got Cheesecake ice cream with blueberries in a waffle cone.

After all of this I felt better. Brad was great. And I got to thinking, hey, things could be worse. I still have a baby. We're ok. And for once this wasn't my fault. Even if I hadn't been that half an hour late getting to Murfreesboro, we still would have been too late.

So, with my sweet hubby next to me, and the baby moving around in there, we went home.

On 840. It took us an hour. But hey! There wasn't any traffic!!!

Sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a bummer of a day... well at least you guys are ok.

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwww... i'm sorry you didn't get to find out the gender of the baby. at least you got ice cream tho!